Sunday, November 28, 2010

baby jacob birth story (long)

on Nov 17th @ 10am we got to the hospital cause i was having regular contractions, they had the monitor on my stomach for 2 hours and i didn't progress so they sent me home @ 3cm. through out the day my contractions got worse and worse, i laid on the couch and finally around 10pm we decided to go back to the hospital. they admitted me because at this point i was 5cm. at about 12am they gave me the epidural, and then i felt no pain, a couple hours later they gave me pitocin to speed up the process. at 6:50am the nurse told me to start pushing, and her and john could see Jacob's head. so they called in the doctor, and i pushed for 20 mins. he was born Nov 18th 2010 @ 7:11am. 8lbs 7oz. 20"long.

Jacob was not breathing when he was born, he was all blue. the second he came out 20 doctors, nurses and kaiser officials rushed in our room. the doctor cut the umbilical cord (john couldn't) they rushed him to the baby table and all began working on him to get him to start breathing. i couldn't see anything, i was still in the birthing position (legs up in the air) i had to still deliver the placenta, but i couldn't because my uterus closed on the end of the placenta preventing it from being able to come out. so my doctor had 7 other doctors and nurses come in to help me with the 20 doctors and nurses were helping Jacob. the room was total craziness.
they put a breathing tube down Jacob's throat, a nurse yelled "we need a crash cart in here" the doctor rolled Jacob over to me and said he may be having a seizure. asked me if i wanted to touch him, before they took him away. i was so scared. i couldn't do anything, i couldn't move, i am being worked on myself.
john went to the nicu with Jacob and i had a doctor scraping my placenta out with a metal horse shoe shaped tool. an hour later my placenta was out, they put it in a red bucket to be examined.
they wheeled me into the nicu to meet baby Jacob, the doctors had done a bunch of blood tests on him to see if he was OK. we were in there forever and finally john and i were able to go to our new room, where we would stay till we left the hospital. Jacob was in nicu for 4 hours and all his tests came back clear. so they brought him to us in our room, and i got to hold him, feed him and lay with him. we were still scared and unsure if he would be OK. the reason he wasn't breathing when he was born was because when he took his first breath he swallowed maconium (baby poop). when that happens it causes the baby to stop breathing, and could kill the baby. we were so lucky to have such a great team of nurses and doctors, their fast response and knowledge saved my Jacob.
that night my parents brought Ryan to meet Jacob, they left, john's friend Ryan came, then john's parents, then my aunt Terri, then Emily, Kristina & Sarah came. Jacob had so many visitors his first day. I'm so happy he is loved by all our family & friends.


2 comments:

  1. I can not wait to meet the little guy. I am glad that everything turned out ok, He is adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I had NO clue that ANY of this went on. How absolutely terrifying for you guys. I can only imagine. I'm so happy that there was an amazing team that helped fix baby Jacob up and breathing. This kind of situation is why Home Births terrify me. I could NEVER EVER do a home birth.

    ReplyDelete